- UnfeaturedWeekly Recipe:NonWeeklyMakes 6 servings, Prep Time: 25 minutes
1 pound yellow onions, trimmed, cut into narrow wedges
1 jar organic tomato-basil pasta sauce (1 pound 8-to-10 ounce jar)
2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
1 tablespoon dried oregano
Summer OR winter vegetable selection (see below)
½ pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced (optional)
¼ cup minced parsley (optional)
Summer vegetable selection:
1 ½ pounds assorted bell peppers, trimmed, seeded, and cubed
1 cup fresh corn kernels
1 pound zucchini, sliced
Winter vegetable selection:
1 pound yellow squash, pared, seeded, and cubed (3 ½ cups)
1 pound yams or sweet potatoes, pared and cubed (3 cups)
½ pound carrots, pared and sliced (1 ½ cups)
In a five- or six-quart slow cooker, combine onions, pasta sauce, broth, and the vegetable selection of choice. Add chicken, if desired. Stir the ingredients until mixed well and coated in sauce. Cover slow cooker with lid and turn to low setting for five to seven hours or until tender. If desired, add parsley just before serving. Recipe provided by the National Onion Association.
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
1 tablespoon sage, chopped
1 cup rutabagas
1 cup parsnips
1 cup shallots
1 cup carrots
1/2 cup celery root
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Add stock, bay leaves, chopped thyme and chopped sage to a stewpot to boil.
2. Peel and cut into stew-sized pieces rutabagas, parsnips, shallots, carrots, and celery root. Add to pot.
3. Cook until veggies are tender. Salt and pepper to taste.
2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
12 ounces low-fat chicken substitute strips, such as Yves Veggie Chicken Tenders,
Lightlife Smart Menu Chik’n Strips, or Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Chik’n
1 large onion, sliced
6 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 large green or red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into chunks
2 cups low-sodium vegetarian broth
1 tablespoon group coriander
1/2 tablespoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 lemon, with peel, sliced and seeded
1 jar (7 ounces) marinated artichoke heart quarters, rinsed under hot water and drained
Salt to taste
Place the flour in a shallow dish and roll the chicken substitute strips to coat. Place the strips in a large, heavy, deep nonstick skillet or stir-fry pan over medium-high heat and cook until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and steam-fry until soft, adding very small amounts of water as needed to prevent sticking and burning. (Or place in a microwaveable dish, cover, and microwave on high for 7 minutes.)
Add the strips, mushrooms, bell pepper, broth, coriander, parsley, black pepper, tumeric, ginger, paprika, and red pepper. Place the lemon slices on top of the stew, cover reduce the heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
Remove and discard the lemon slices. Stir in the artichokes and cook just until heated. Season with salt and serve immediately.
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
Per serving: 165 calories, 20 g protein, 25 g carbohydrates, 3 g sugar, 1 g total fat, 3% calories from fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 10 g fiber, 584 mg sodium
4 tablespoons fresh lime juice,
plus 1 tablespoon for sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro,
plus extra for garnish
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 pounds US tilapia
1 (16 ounce) jar tomato salsa
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
4 small handfuls broken tortilla chips
1 tablespoon olive oil, for drizzling
1 avocado, diced
1. Mix 4 tablespoons of lime juice with garlic, cilantro, and salt in a large casserole dish. Lay the tilapia fi llets side by side atop the marinade. Let sit 15 minutes, turning once or twice to coat all sides.
2. Bring salsa and chicken broth to a simmer in a large skillet. Add the tilapia with juices. Simmer 10 minutes, until fi sh is fi rm and opaque. Break the fi sh into large pieces with a wooden spatula.
3. To serve, line four bowls with a handful of broken tortilla chips. Spoon stew over chips and drizzle with a touch of the remaining lime juice and olive oil. Garnish with avocado and cilantro
Nutrition info per serving (4): 310 calories; 14.5 g fat; 1.7 g saturated fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 34 g protein; 16.4 g carbohydrates; 4.5 g fi ber; 627 mg sodium