1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup onions, diced
12 egg whites
1/4 cup fat-free milk
2 slices whole-wheat bread, torn into pieces
1 cup broccoli fl orets, steamed
1 cup spinach, stems removed, steamed
Fresh ground pepper and sea salt, to taste
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
3 to 4 whole cloves; 3 to 4 peppercorns
1 slice of onion
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
2 teaspoons oil drained from sun-dried
2 1/2 teaspoons whole-wheat fl our
Cayenne, sea salt, pepper to taste
1. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add olive oil and onions. Cook until caramelized.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9- by 9-inch baking dish. Whisk egg whites and milk. Season with cayenne, sea salt, and pepper. Spread bread pieces along bottom of pan; top with caramelized onions, broccoli fl orets, and spinach. Pour on the egg-white mixture. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper, and the Parmesan cheese. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
3. While casserole bakes, put milk, cloves, peppercorns, and a slice of onion in a small pot. Cook over medium-high heat about five minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
4. Mince garlic and drained sun-dried tomatoes.
5. Drain milk through a strainer into a bowl to remove cloves, peppercorns, and onion. In same pot, over medium heat, add oil and fl our. Stir to make a roux. Slowly add milk, whisking in a little at a time. When thickened, whisk in sun-dried tomatoes and garlic. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste.
6. Serve casserole slices with a tablespoon of sundried tomato cream sauce on top.
Nutrition info per serving (based on 6): 152 calories; 3.2 g fat; 0.7 g saturated fat; 2.7 mg cholesterol; 14.5 g protein; 17.3 g carbohydrates; 2.9 g fi ber; 304 mg sodium
For the Dressing:
1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt, pepper to taste
For the Salad:
6 cups spinach leaves
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onions
3 Roma tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1/2 cup baby carrots, cut matchstick thin
1/3 cup dried cherries
1/3 cup shelled pistachios
2 tablespoons whole-wheat fl our
1 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 teaspoon lime zest
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 large chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
Juice of 1/2 lime
1. Zest orange and lime, setting aside 1 teaspoon orange zest and 1/2 teaspoon lime zest. Juice orange and 1/2 of lime, reserving second half for chicken.
2. Using a food processor, add juices, zests, cilantro, honey, and mustard. Pulse until well mixed. Add olive oil, a little bit at a time, and pulse until emulsified. Add cayenne, salt, and pepper to taste.
1. Mix first seven ingredients in a bowl.
2. In a separate, small bowl, mix flour, fruit zests, and cayenne.
3. Pound the chicken breasts to 1/2- to 3/4-inch thickness and dredge in flour mixture.
4. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. After one minute, add oil and chicken breasts. Turn every two minutes, cooking for 10 minutes. Squeeze the juice of half a lime over the chicken. Remove from heat, slice, add to salad, toss with dressing, and serve.
Nutrition info per serving (4): 451 calories; 22.4 g fat; 3.2 g saturated fat; 68.4 mg cholesterol; 33.1 g protein; 31.5 g carbohydrates; 5.5 g fiber; 157.6 mg sodium
2 cups plain Greek-style or regular yogurt with the whey drained
3 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons vanilla extract, preferably Tahitian vanilla
2 grapefruits, peeled and segmented with the pith removed
2 kiwis, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup of organic raspberries
1/4 cup of organic blackberries
1/4 cup of organic strawberries
1/4 cup of organic blueberries
2 tablespoons granola or crushed nuts
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1. In a large bowl, mix yogurt, 2 table- spoons honey, and vanilla.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together fruit.
3. In four separate parfait glasses, add the fruit and yogurt in alternating layers. Top with granola, and drizzle with honey. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
Nutrition info per serving (4): 215 calories; 2 g fat; 0.3 g saturated fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 10.4 g protein; 40.2 g carbohydrates; 5.3 g fiber; 40.3 mg sodium