I knew something was really wrong when my son started preschool and I was the only mom who didn’t have another child on the way. I was too exhausted and sick all the time to even think about getting pregnant.Always sluggish? How to eat for lasting energyBy Amy Logan
1/4 onion, diced
1/4 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
4 tablespoons soy sauce
4 large leaves of red chard
3/4 cup cooked brown sushi rice
8 1-ounce slices of sushi-grade, raw ahi tuna
8 slices of ripe papaya, about the same size as the ahi slices
1 avocado, sliced into eighths
1 ounce of microgreens or sprouts, evenly divided for four rolls
4 roughly chopped macadamia nuts
1. Place onion, vinegar, lemon juice, and soy sauce in a small bowl, and set aside.
2. Lightly steam the chard leaves for 2 minutes. Run under cool water, and pat dry. Stack 2 leaves on top of each other with the underside up and the thick side of the stems closest to you. Fill the center with 2 to 3 tablespoons of rice, flush with the thick edge of the stem, leaving the upper half of the leaf empty.
3. Add 2 slices each of ahi, papaya, and avocado. Top with microgreens and one chopped macadamia, and fold the sides together and the bottom of the leaf up over them. Repeat with remaining chard leaves.
4. Spoon onion-soy mixture inside and serve.
nutrition info per serving (4): 220.3 calories, 10.8 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 30 mg cholesterol, 15.3 g protein, 18.4 g carbohydrates, 4.4 g fiber, 720 mg sodium
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 pound skinless and boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
6 ounces green beans, cut into bite-size pieces
1 cup chopped celery
1 zucchini, sliced
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
1/2 of a 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
4 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon paprika
1 to 2 tablespoons raw honey
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons minced raw ginger
2 teaspoons pressed raw garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat for several minutes.
2. Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft.
3. Add chicken, and continue to stir occasionally to brown lightly on all sides.
4. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, and allow to simmer until vegetables are just tender and chicken is cooked through.
nutrition info per serving (4): 209 calories, 4.7 g fat, 0.5 g saturated fat, 55 mg cholesterol, 26.8 g protein, 14.2 g carbohydrates, 2.6 g fiber, 745 mg sodium