How Can I Help Heal Your GI Tract?
Do you suffer one of the common gastrointestinal disorders, such as chronic indigestion, GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease), constipation, bloating, or food intolerances? Can these be resolved, instead of just getting relief from their symptoms? Absolutely!
In conventional medicine, the clinician typically knows how to suppress a particular symptom, such as acidic symptoms, or depression, or high cholesterol. In Functional Health Care, we determine the origins of the symptoms, the underlying causes, and the types of treatment to restore proper function in order to restore optimal health. Once the problem is resolved, symptoms naturally cease or disappear. Furthermore, it is quite possible that other seemingly unrelated health problems get resolved. What a nice side effect! One patient that consulted me for Irritable Bowel Syndrome saw great improvement of her PMS symptoms and got pregnant sooner than expected. Read her testimonial in my Gut Health = Great Health article.
How can a Functional Health Care physician like me help heal your GI tract?
The first step is to assess the condition of your gut and how it is affecting other systems in your body. This is done through advanced lab tests, which we call Functional Laboratory testing. These tests identify the underlying causes of problems, not just pathology.
The next step is to put together a customized 4R Program according to your health history and lab results. The 4R Program is the Functional Medicine therapeutic approach for the GI tract. It consists of the following:
- Remove pathogenic bacteria, parasites, pathogenic yeasts, food allergies, etc. Are any pathogenic bacteria like H. Pylori present? Are parasites present? Are there any pathogenic yeasts present such as Candida? Are there any foods that temporarily need to be eliminated, such as gluten-containing foods, which can cause autoimmune responses? Are food sensitivities or food allergies present requiring temporary removal of offending foods from the diet?
- Replace HCL, digestive enzymes, and amino acids. Is the stomach producing enough HCL? What about digestive enzymes? Are tissue stores of basic nutrients, like amino acids, very depleted?
- Reinoculate with beneficial bacteria. Are the levels of beneficial bacteria present in the gut depleted? How long has it been depleted? How frequently has it been depleted by use of antibiotics, antacids, anti-inflammatory medicines, or corticosteroids?
- Repair the mucosal lining of the GI tract. Are certain foods, such as high sugars, inhibiting repair processes? Is there impairment of nerve function affecting the ENS, requiring chiropractic or acupuncture? A variety of specific nutrients and supplements, properly dosed and timely given are required for repair.
This approach is very effective in getting to the root cause of the problem and resolving it. For comprehensive functional diagnosis and resolution of your GI tract problem, contact us. If you want to make an in-office or phone consultation, start by filling out our medical forms. Print them, complete the first three forms, and then send them back to us. We look forward to helping your GI tract heal.
Dr. Husbands is a chiropractor, certified clinical nutritionist, an anti-aging healthcare practitioner, and a functional medicine doctor. For more information, visit http://www.holistichealthbayarea.com
- Alternative Medicine (15)
- Ask the Acupuncturist (3)
- Beauty (14)
- Eco Living (6)
- Editors' Picks (0)
- Fitness (12)
- Food & Nutrition (29)
- Guest Blogger (8)
- Guest Experts (6)
- Health & Wellness (37)
- Health and Wellness Club (5)
- Healthy Aging (13)
- Kids' Health (4)
- Men's Health (12)
- Mind/Body (14)
- Natural News (7)
- Naturally Healthy (4)
- Sam I Am (9)
- Sexual Healing (12)
- Supplements (3)